Pervert caught with child abuse images avoids prison
A man caught with indecent videos of children on his mobile phone has been ordered to participate in a sex offenders’ programme.
At Bolton Crown Court Judge Timothy Stead heard how, following information received, police with a warrant visited Ian Bellew on January 30 last year and seized his Samsung mobile phone.
Bellew, aged 26, of no fixed address, immediately admitted he had indecent images of children on it.
Sarah Cook, prosecuting, said that when the device was analysed 91 of the most serious category A videos were found, 96 category B videos and 96 in category C.
The videos featured children aged between three and 15.
Bellew pleaded guilty to three counts of possessing indecent images of children but the court heard that he had not been involved in creating the videos and, although he downloaded them, had not distributed them to anyone else.
Kevin Liston, defending, described Bellew as “an isolated and somewhat vulnerable individual” who lived alone and had mental health issues.
Judge Stead sentenced him to a community order for three years with participation in a sex offender programme and 40 days of rehabilitation activities.
He was also placed on the sex offenders’ register and made subject to a sexual harm prevention order for five years. The phone was forfeited and will be destroyed.
The judge told Bellew: “You’re worrying this court. You are 26, you have not committed offences in the past. It seems to me you have been leading an isolated existence and drinking too much.”
Random Offenders From The Database